Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Project Update: More Table Progress

Yes, I'm still working on the assembly table. As you may or may not know, I'm a pretty solitary guy, at least when it comes to work. Sure, I can yuck it up with the best of them in a social setting, but when it comes to getting stuff done, I prefer to work by myself, for myself. Now, having said that, I can say with complete confidence that it sure would be nice to have some help with this table. Just a little help, not necessarily guidance or screwing and gluing. Someone to hold things straight while I attach parts would be an enormous help. In fact, I have no idea how I'm going to get the bottom and top of the table on given space and lifting constraints, but I'll git 'er dun.


As you can see, I've relied heavily on clamping to assist the assembly process. Who doesn't, right? And I've discovered through this mini-project that my chop saw does not make perfectly straight cuts. Oy. I'll either work to get it calibrated properly or it will have to go. In the case of this table, it's not such a big deal. In the case of the instrument case, it will be, so I'll be looking at that in depth over the next few days. In the meantime, on to finishing this monster.



I'm using the new table saw as a cut/assembly table. This is not my preferred use of the saw, but what am I gonna do? I need to get this done so I can move on to building the case. In the photo immediately above, I've lined out all of the cuts for the sides (the table is 4' x 8' including the 2x4s that line the sides, so the plywood and hardened boards are 93" x 45") and the notches for the legs. This will be the bottom shelf of the table. My intent with the shelf is to get the specialty and exotic woods lining the walls onto it to free up some space around the shop. I'll be lining it, like the top, with a 1/8" layer of hardened board that I can easily replace should it get marred and scarred.

I'm hoping to have this thing completed by this coming Monday. Wish me luck.

Until next time...


No comments:

Post a Comment