Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Project Update: Assembly Table Bottom Finished

I was able to get the bottom of the assembly table completed last night with no help. This was not a good idea. The plywood and hardened board were extremely unwieldy and I've decided to wait until I have some help to complete the top. This is holding everything, including the electric cello project up,  but it must be done.


First was the 3/4" plywood intended to provide a bottom shelf and also stability - it's tacked to a 1" lip around the bottom frame.  Then came the 1/8" hardened board.


Did I need the hardened board? Probably not, but it will keep the plywood from wearing and a 4' x 8' sheet is only $9 at Home Depot. If it gets trashed, I can simply replace it with another. I'll use this same configuration for the top and include some additional reinforcement by essentially turning it into a torsion box. I'll be adding 2x4 cross beams to all of the legs once I get the top installed and may even throw some shelves and dividers in at some point. For now, I just want to GET IT DONE!

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment