Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Day 81: Coat Two Completed

I was able to finish up the final five keys last night. Fortunately, I applied the Tru-Oil to them after listening (not just hearing) to what Owen Daly was telling me, so it came right off of this last bunch. They look pretty good, though I need to touch up some of the scribe marks on the heads.


The next steps are to clean up the arcades. When I applied the Tru-Oil to the blackwood, I taped up the arcades (the little decorative pieces on the ends of the keys) with frog tape to protect them from the oil. This left a sticky residue on some of them I will need to clean off before proceeding with staining. I'll do this before I start work on the accidentals, as well.



Once these quarter sawn red oak pieces are stained and finished, I'll glue the jack felt to the distal ends and then balance them using lead weights. You'll see what I mean in the next few days.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment