Monday, March 9, 2015

Day 84: Time for a Little Hardening

I was able to get the keyboard finish for both the naturals and accidentals completed over this last weekend and I must admit they look pretty good.



After working with the Tru-Oil on the naturals, I decided to test it out on the arcades and accidentals. I was quite happy with the results because they darkened the oak up only slightly while helping the quarter sawn flecking really pop.



I'm going to leave all of them alone for a few days so they can dry and harden up a bit. The Tru-Oil is really a varnish that is commonly used by gunsmiths to finish gun stocks. It's good stuff and something I'm sure I will be using in the future on all kinds of projects.

The next immediate steps will be to mount the jack felt at the distal ends of the keys and weight/balance each of them. I'm looking forward to these steps because it means the keyboard will be completed soon. I've been at this since May with the maintenance program over the holidays being my only break. I'm anxious to get this phase wrapped up so I can get on to building the case.

With regard to building the case, I'm going to need an assembly table of some size - at least large enough to accommodate the case parts during the build process. Heck, I've needed an assembly table for some time now, I've just never pulled the trigger on putting one together. Now's the time to pull that trigger. I'll be building it as a large (4'x8') outfeed table for the table saw and position it right in the middle of the shop. I'll build in some drawers for storage and make it sturdy enough to accommodate just about any project.

Along with the assembly table, I'm going to mount a structure to the ceiling that will act as the top of a large go board for gluing up the various case parts. If you click the go-board link, you'll see a smaller version used for guitars. I built my first guitar go-board for about $30 using Home Depot parts. In the case of the ceiling mounted version, I'll assemble it using plywood and 2x4s, leaving room between its bottom and the ceiling for wood storage - another benefit of building it. More to come on the assembly table and go-board structure soon.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment