Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Project Update: I Can See!

Now that I'm coming out of the illness, I ended up working the day job for a week in the Bay Area. The good news: I have a day job. The bad news: It's a week of lost production. The better news: I'll be visiting a well-known harpsichordist in Berkeley tomorrow to see his personal museum of fine instruments and, maybe, hear him play a bit (more on this later).

Before I left for the week-long adventure, I was able to finish up the shop reorganization in anticipation of completing the Roubo-style workbench. Much of this simply involved putting the two shelving units together I had picked up a couple of weeks ago at The Home Depot.



As you can see, one of the main points was to get the Goby Free Box walnut organized and to clear space for the bench by moving the toolbox toward the wall. It really was a disorganized mess before I started.


Now that I've moved the 12" planer, Ridgid oscillating spindle sander, and 12" chop saw beneath the assembly table and have cleared a significant amount of space on the floor, I'm ready to get that bench together and start using it!



Along with this, I've complained from time-to-time about not having enough light at the table saw end of the assembly table. Another complaint from Random Roger Green cemented it: I purchased one of the shop LED lights from Costco and I love it!



It's installed and doing its job splendidly. As I always say, sometimes, it's the little things.

On a completely unrelated note, I recently acquired two more Stanley Bailey hand planes - a No. 5 and a No. 6, both with corrugated bottoms, which I prefer (pictured below with a No. 7 and the handwheels for the workbench's Moxon vise).


Sadly, the No. 6 is in pretty bad shape - much worse than it appeared on eBay. I'm not sure I can save it, but I'm gonna give it my best college try. If it's a goner, I can always use it as a doorstop, right?

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment