Thursday, March 10, 2016

Project Update: A Crosscut Sled for a Band Saw

I've been occupied with personal and other matters lately, enough that I've not been in the shop much this past week. Interestingly, Monday night after the Koopman and Mathot recital, I awoke from a dream in which I was repurposing my little table saw crosscut sled to cut more safely and easily on the Laguna band saw I purchased specifically for resawing wood. The logic behind this was the new Incra 1000HD miter gauge for the table saw obviated the continuing need for the sled. Tuesday night, I threw the little fella on the Laguna and sliced off one side, leaving plenty to support any wood I cradled in its loving arms.


The whole point of this exercise was to even the tops of the Roubo workbench legs so I can begin the process of cutting the tenons into them. The dream had me cutting the sled to size (it now butts directly against the blade - without touching it, of course) and supporting the extended side with a roller stand. I went ahead and threw one of the longer legs on and gave it a shot.


As you can see, it worked splendidly. I then cut all four legs and will be working on the tenons tonight and through the weekend. I'm hoping to have the thing built out by the end of the month so I can get back to work on the instrument. Only time will tell.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment