Thursday, October 22, 2015

Project Update: Final Cleanup

While going through the boxes of scrap in the shop, I kept finding more boxes. Boxes and boxes and boxes of goodies - and some crap. So, I sorted by species, boxed each and put them under the assembly table for easy access. I also placed the larger pieces in the top go bar deck and have three boxes of scrap ready to go out the door. The sorting process was an exercise-and-a-half.


In the end, I found the following woods (in no particular order):
  • Oak (White and Red)
  • Poplar (Tulip)
  • Pine (Clear and Knotty)
  • Spruce
  • Cherry
  • Mahogany
  • African Blackwood
  • Cedar
  • Redwood
  • Ash
  • Ebony
  • Sapele
  • Walnut (Black and Claro)
  • Camphor (Burl)
  • Purpleheart
  • Bloodwood
  • Maple (Figured and Clear)
  • A couple I don't have a clue about
The good news is everything is arranged, filed and otherwise squared away.


Now, I can finally get back to work. Coming up over the next week: completion of the instrument case bottom and shoring up the top go bar deck for upward pressure.

During the course of cleaning and arranging, I came across several hand planes, a suede apron, wood, and a beautiful toolbox that once filled the shop of Donald Lengacher. Mr. Lengacher has since passed and his wife and daughter, Judi (a friend from high school - thanks, Facebook!), were kind enough to allow me to acquire the goods with their blessings. They will have a seat of honor at the worldwide debut of the instrument. The toolbox is old - I have no idea how old, I just know they don't make them like this any more.



Having this piece in my shop is a constant reminder about how what I'm doing has the potential to last generations. My power tools will wear out, my shop location will change, other projects will come about, but the one thing that will outlast me by several lifetimes will be the instruments I produce.Thank you, Donald, for the constant reminder about why I'm doing this.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment