Monday, June 15, 2015

Day 89: More Lamination Form Progress

As you know from my last post, the table saw motor pulley assembly is in flux. I finally took the initiative and contacted Grizzly last week and received a reply that the parts would be shipped on the 15th, which is today. I've not yet received a shipping notice and I've been able to successfully suppress any emotions around the assumption they didn't move on sending me the parts until I contacted them, but it's been difficult. I'll continue to give them the benefit of the doubt. For now.

Because the table saw parts are set to arrive this week, I went ahead and jumped back onto the bentside lamination form mini-project. I decided to make the sides of the form from chipboard, reserving the whitewood and oak for the bracing and clamping pieces. The photos below illustrate the process I went through to get the piece cut using the instrument plan.

In the excitement of finally working in the shop again, I neglected to take photos of the nails I used to first mark the cut line using the plan and then again to clamp an old saw blade to the nails to draw the line. The saw blade came with Big Bertha when I picked her up; she had no tires and a dull 3/4" blade running directly on her wheels. Poor, poor Big Bertha. I have no idea why I kept the blade around, but it proved useful for this exercise. I cut the blade into manageable lengths and it worked great.

The next step is to cut the form sides (two stacked pieces of chipboard) using Big Bertha and finally get the form put together. In the meantime, I'll continue to let some Dutch Rush I picked up at the Oregon Coast this weekend dry so I can test it as a finish sanding resource. I have no idea how it will work, but it's what they used back in the day, so I'm hopeful.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment