Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Project Update: Assembly Table Mostly Completed

The chest cold has about subsided, so I was able to get back into the shop last night to begin the process of finishing up the assembly table. It went fairly smoothly (gotta remember that "measure twice, cut once" thing) and it's 95% completed. I just need to mount the top and bottom with lag bolts into the legs, get the 2x4 crossbeams in place using lag bolts and drill some holes for iron holdfasts. These are a great way to clamp large pieces to the table; they wedge themselves in with a strike of a mallet on the top of the holdfast and then you tap it on the back to get it to come on out. The same holes will also accommodate bench dogs for clamping. As you can see from the links, the holes will need to be 3/4" and I will be adding a couple of quick-release vises to the table over time to use with the dogs.


I will be adding dividers under the table for the various wood species I have buried in boxes along the shop walls. This will help me keep the woods organized and clear the walls so I can move tools closer to them, creating more working space in the shop. I'll be extending the table saw miter slots with miter channels routed and placed into the assembly table to maximize it as an outfeed table for use with the table saw miter gauge and crosscut sled I intend to build soon. Finally, I will be adding a torsion grid structure underneath the top to support the go-bar setup in the near future, but I need to get back to work on the instrument case, as well as a side project for my son that's due on the 9th (eight days from today - and that's no April Fool's joke) for his birthday.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment