Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Day 42: Slowly, but Surely

If I were to start a company making instruments, I would name it Tortuga Ancient Instruments. I may move slowly, but remember: the tortoise always beats the hare. Tick...tick...tick...

I was able to make a little progress last night, though it didn't feel like much because it was sanding the sharps to remove the wee, little band saw marks I introduced a few weeks ago. Again, if I had been able to cut these using the glue line rip blade on the table saw, little sanding would have been necessary. Regardless, they are now all sanded and ready for gluing to their respective keys.


Once I glue them up, I will paint them with 6 coats of semi-gloss black spray paint, sanding with 320-grit sandpaper every 2 coats.

We have a new addition to the family! I recently acquired a Stanley Bailey No. 7 bench plane from a local antique (okay, junk) store. It's a newer model and is in pretty good shape. I'll be cleaning it up over the next few weeks; it doesn't require removing the Japaning, electrolysis to remove rust, etc., which is good because I'd rather spend my limited shop time on cutting and gluing wood.


As you can see in comparison to the No. 4 above, it's a fairly large creature. I'll be using it on the soundboard and parts of the case in the very near future.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment