Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Day 43: Notched and Ready for More

The Dremel tool sanding barrels arrived a couple of days ago, so I was able to complete the notching of the guide rails ends of all of the keys last night. As you may recall, this will help when maintaining the instrument once it is completed because the guide rail pins will be hidden from sight. The notching will simply make it easier to slide a key in after it has been removed and repaired.


The next step is to glue all of the sharps to their respective keys. I will remove the naturals from the keyframe and glue the sharps centered and lined up with a line I drew when the keyboard was still a single piece of jointed wood. The glue up will take 24 hours to dry before I can do a spacing quality check on the keys in general. For those where a gap is insufficient to allow enough play between keys, I will use a heat gun to bend them at the balance rail pin hole. Should I need to do this (I believe I do on at least three), I will, as always, detail the process here.

Until then...

No comments:

Post a Comment