Monday, June 25, 2018

Day 177: Deja Vu All Over Again

After the sizing episode, it was time to start gluing stuff to the soundboard. I started by lining out where the bridges and four foot end pins would go using a marking tool and punch.


Then, I threw some glue on the eight foot bridge and proceeded to get it down. I cut the heads off a few nails and used them as guides inserted into the existing holes. Once the go bars were in place, I removed the nails.


A word about go bars: This is an ancient method of clamping (or cramping for my friends in the United Kingdom) that probably goes back to the Egyptians, if not earlier. It simply uses the tensile strength of thin pieces of hardwood to bind whatever you're gluing to whatever is receiving it. In this case, it's all about pushing the bridges into the soundboard.

After 24 hours, I removed the go bars for inspection and all was well.


I then proceeded with the four footer, only there was a small hiccup - the damned thing snapped while I was bending it into position on the plan that was laid over the soundboard. Rather than become upset, I simply cut, bent, spokeshaved, and glued up a new one. All steps were completed within 48 hours. Easy peasy. So easy, in fact, I'm thinking about changing the company name to Tortuga Early Instruments Harpsichord Bridge Company.





Now that the bridges are in place, I need to cut out the sound hole (especially before I start gluing things to the back of the soundboard). I'm not going to disclose how I'm cutting it at this time, though I'll throw you a hint: Clean No Cars.

On a couple of tangentially related notes, I acquired a nice holly log from a woodworking friend. Thanks, Kate!


Like the PEEK from Robert Webster, I now have enough holly to make jack tongues for the rest of my days on the planet.

Another generous friend, Geir Bremnes, sent me drawings he has made of an I. Ruckers 1640 single manual that resides at the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam. He's one of the kindest people I know and has asked me to pay it forward as a way to repay him for his generosity.



I'll be posting more about this instrument in the days ahead. Thanks again, Geir!

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment