Once I got the spine and cheek glued to the nameboard, pinblock and lower belly rail, I could begin the process of gluing that structure and the bentside and tail to the bottom. Ruckers (i.e., Flemish) harpsichords are built "on the bottom," which means I will be gluing the sides to the bottom. But first, I needed to dry fit all parts by drilling lots and lots of holes in the bottom.
This is in keeping with Mr. Miller's directions in his eBook Most Excellent. I did talk things over with Owen Daly of Owen Daly Early Keyboard Instruments and decided to continue to follow Mr. Miller's directions. The next instrument will likely be a little Italian, so I'm just going to meander along the trail following Mr. Miller until the end. Besides, this one is mine, so I don't have to worry about the added level of scrutiny under which the pros regularly toil.
Once I got the hundred or so holes drilled, I began the task of clamping the sides onto the bottom and securing them with 1 1/4" (#8) screws.
Things were going well until I clamped on the tail only to discover the angle I had cut is not going to fit.
I suppose this is why Mr. Miller recommends a dry fit before the final glue-up. Thanks again, Ernie. I'll have the angle recut and everything screwed in by the end of this week.
On a tangentially-related note, I'm still working on getting the Roubo-style bench wrapped up. As much as I'm loathe to admit it, Random Roger Green has several interests outside of completing my bench, so we've been on a bit of a short hiatus. Once he has time to reengage, we will be trimming up the leg vise chop for final mounting and drilling the dog holes into the top. Until then, I'll be working on mounting the end vise. As you can see in the photo below, I'm using some of the walnut I scavenged from the Goby Walnut and Western Hardwoods free boxes.
I started by planing them down and then cutting them to size.
When I mount the vise, I'll provide greater detail about that process. My intent is to mount it directly to the bench top and route out the walnut to fit the vise (as opposed to doing any more routing of the bench top). I'll also have this knocked out this week.
Until next time...