Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Day 108: Finishing up the Cap

Okay, after posting on Facebook and receiving feedback from the Masters and others, I've decided to start calling it a wrestplank, rather than a pinblock. So, in keeping with my new terminological bent, I present the completed jointing of the wrestplank cap.


I just need to clean up the final joint with the scraper and I can call it good. The next step will be to pick up the oak piece I need to complete the wrestplank and get this baby mounted on it for final sizing.

On a completely unrelated note, the cool Craigslist guy I sold Big Bertha to emailed to let me know he had some maple I might be interested in. I'm always interested in maple, oak, cedar, spruce and specific types of pine, so I went to his house to see what he had. I ended up picking up a beautiful 1" maple board about 5' x 18" with nice birdseyes and some figuring. This will be perfect for another project I'll be embarking on soon.

On the way home, a little voice said, "Free Box." Repeatedly. This meant I should run by Goby Walnut and Western Hardwoods in Northwest Portland to see if they had set out their Free Box. Well, they had and it was filled to overflowing. It's hard for me to put into words just how really cool and somewhat extraordinary this is. First, the fact that they load up such a box and put it out for hacks like me to dumpster dive is amazing. What's even more amazing is that it's an extremely rare occasion to find the box chock-full of walnut and other woods.

The old Free Box bursting at the seams was my own, little Christmas miracle. I spent the better part of 20 minutes picking through the motherlode and filling the back of my KIA with the spoils.


Most of the pieces will be handy as veneers, yet there were some pretty sizable chunks that I'm sure I'll find a use for in the future. This was, indeed, a major score. The one thing I didn't count on is that walnut smells sour, which made the drive home, um, interesting. Regardless of the smell, I'm thankful to see my stock of walnut growing.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment