Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Project Update: Holiday Maintenance

I've decided that I'm going to take this holiday season to slow down a bit and start a mini-maintenance program on all of my shop tools and machines. I don't have a dust collection system, other than a shop vac and cyclone collector, so the nooks and crannies are pretty badly in need of a dusting and cleaning.

I've been having some trouble with the blade tilting gear on the table saw, so I decided to start there. In the course of taking it apart to check the gear, I discovered that a couple of bolts were missing or loose. Not cool. Clearly, I need to do this every couple of months.


The inside was caked with sawdust. The sense of purging was exhilarating when I brushed and vacuumed it out. The next step is to check the tilting gear and try to figure out why it won't go back to 90 degrees very easily after a tilt. I discovered this when cutting the sharps at 10 degrees; this is mainly why I switched to the band saw to cut the remaining sharps, which I will never do again (it left painful little blade kerf marks on the sides).

Along with this, I'm going to thoroughly clean the chop saw area. I'm also going to look at the bearings and tires on the 12" and 14" band saws and start preparing the 14" for the riser block and new blade. The 12" planer is due for a cleaning and the new jointer is going to be sparkly after this week. Speaking of which, I took the stand apart because the wire brush wheel should be sitting in my mailbox as I write this.


The only other maintenance project I intend to complete is to build a portable shop table, one that I can fold down and wheel out of the way when I don't need it, which is most of the time. There are times, though, when I've really needed a table larger than my workbench, which is only 24" wide, for things like looking at plans, assembling pieces, etc. I have a couple of other small projects in mind, but I'll hold off on those until I see how long the jointer cleanup and assembly table take.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment