Sunday, December 28, 2014

Project Update: An IKEA Outfeed Table

Last night I built a piece of furniture you won't find in a catalog or one of their stores: an IKEA butcher block cutting board outfeed table for the table saw. One of our old cutting boards warped a couple of years ago and I just couldn't bring myself to throw it away at the time. Now, I'm glad I tossed it onto the scrap pile - it works like a charm as a table saw outfeed table. What you can't see is a small 1/2" wide piece of wood underneath that locks the block into an outside channel so I can slide the table back and forth the length of the saw as needed, and it pops right off for easy storage.

I finally found a good use for IKEA furniture.


On an unrelated note, I haven't yet gathered up the parts and pieces for the folding finish table. I need a pretty healthy list of items, including a 4'x8' piece of Baltic birch plywood, two piano hinges, four 3/4" threaded pipes, etc. I'll work at knocking down the list over the coming week. In the meantime, I'm going to build a crosscut sled for the table saw. This will promote an added level of safety at Tortuga Ancient Instruments Worldwide Headquarters and help my wife stop stressing every time she hears the table saw fire up.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment