Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Day 48: A Man of Leisure

As you can see from the photo below, I'm taking the sanding of the first two coats of paint on the sharps at a leisurely pace (yes, that's a Cohiba in the ashtray next to the Margarita in a jelly jar).


The reason it's taking me so long to complete this first round of sanding is that I had Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (CTS) surgery about five years ago on both of my hands and they hurt all the darned time. I'm not sure if it feels like arthritis because I don't have that, they just ache, especially when the weather is changing as it is now or when I play the guitar or work with my hands for extended periods of time. Because of this, I can only sand five or six of the keys at a time before I need to break for the night. Ouchie.

As I've been completing this step, I started thinking about Mr. Miller's directions for painting in his eBook Most Excellent; he told me to use semi-flat paint and, as you know based upon a couple of posts ago, I'm more determined than ever to continue following his directions to a 't'. Well, I could not, for the life of me, find anything remotely resembling semi-flat spray paint, black or otherwise, at either Lowe's or Home Depot. Based upon that, I assumed he meant semi-gloss.

After thinking about it yesterday, I took the initiative to browse the Interwebs and, yes indeed, there is a Krylon semi-flat black spray paint available, so I'm going to switch to that for the remaining four coats. Now, I just have to find it somewhere local, if possible. Perhaps the shop dedicated to selling nothing but paint and related supplies just two blocks from Tortuga Ancient Instruments Worldwide Headquarters carries it? If not, Amazon, here I come!

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment