Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Project Update: I'm Getting Roubo Legs

Random Roger Green showed up as promised last night and he brought books, tools, a crisscross and knowledge with him. It was interesting to see the crisscross since mine has yet to arrive. I was pleased that he agreed the Benchcrafted Crisscross Solo was the correct choice. I finally got one right - please alert the media.


Roger and I will continue to work on the bench until it's completed. I'm hoping it will take only a couple of weeks and I can get back to work on the instrument soon. In the meantime, the work last night was centered on cutting the legs long enough that I could cut some practice tenons into the ends in preparation for the real thing.



The original stick was a 12' 6x6 that I had cut in half at Parr Lumber. They're not going to be the prettiest legs in the world, but I'm okay with that - it's just a bench. Some of the parts for the leg vise arrived last night and I was pleased to see the precision screw was more robust than I had imagined.


It's 30mm wide, so it should work great, and Random ROG says it's definitely long enough. Interestingly, he is recommending I also create a Moxon vise for the bench - something I had not considered but that I'm completely open to doing. In this case, I'll be getting help from both Roger and Chris Schwarz. It's nice to have such knowledgeable and helpful friends.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment