Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Project Update: The Veneer is Here

I was able to pick up the quarter sawn red oak veneer for the instrument a couple of days ago. The stuff is astonishingly thin, like paper-thin. I had planned on it being a bit thicker, but that's because I made the assumption without first checking on how thin it actually is. Welcome to my world. Regardless, I think it will work out given the fact I need to add a couple of layers of adjesive to both the wood and veneer before mounting it.



I really kind of screwed myself by going with veneer for the instrument. Of course, the decision was made before I knew much about building a harpsichord and I thought I would only ever build the one, so it was completely uninformed. The next one will not be veneered. I promise. The veneer makes it extremely difficult for me to accurately figure out the length measurements for the nameboard, wrestplank, bracing, etc. What a pain. Fortunately, I love learning.

Last night, I picked up the adhesive for the veneer, some sprayable 3M contact cement. This after speaking with Cranky Wood Dude who rang up the veneer for me at Crosscut Hardwoods. I clearly elicit the cranky response in the Wood Dude community, but, frankly, I don't really care. They're always happy to take my money, so they can hold my wood between their knees. That didn't sound right, but I'm gonna stand by the statement.


I did not pick up the poplar to complete the spine last night. My only choice was an eight foot piece (cut to length) of 3/4" x 12" board. Because I'm going to plane it down to just under 1/2" (to accommodate the beloved veneer), I'm pretty squirmy about spending $50+ on a piece of wood that a good portion of which will end up in the sawdust bin. So, it's back to Cranky Wood Dude(s) at Crosscut Hardwoods to purchase a piece that's already planed down to 1/2" that they will also cut to length for me. Rather than pay per linear foot there, I'll be paying by square foot. This comes out to roughly half of what it would cost me at Home Depot.

On a completely unrelated note, you may remember my multiple dumpster diving incidents at Goby Walnut and Western Hardwoods. Lest you think me overly goofy for the pursuit, observe below.


This is just one small piece of the hundreds I dragged home. I'll be using it mostly as veneer except where I need thicker pieces for small parts on instruments. I'll be stopping by Goby again soon. Where will I store it? Who knows, but how can I pass up such succulent morsels, right?

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment