Saturday, August 1, 2015

Project Update: A Homecoming

It's been a while since I posted anything on the project, I know. Frankly, I haven't done much because the shop is in a general state of disrepair with table saw parts strewn about. The good news is I received an email from Grizzly a couple of days ago that the pulley wheel has been repaired and the motor is on the way back home. It's also been in the 100s (Fahrenheit for my European friends), which is in no way amenable to gluing the bentside up. I suspect everything will come together quickly; I'll receive the motor and the temps are projected to drop to a more reasonable level beginning next week, so I'll be back to work in no time.

On an unrelated matter, I'm considering building my own jig that hooks onto the lathe to turn it into a thickness sander. It's either this or purchase one for $900. Besides, where the heck would I put the thing? The shop is already stressed with the assembly table taking up most of the room now. You can see an example of what I'm considering by watching this video. I'm thinking about putting a rolling bed with a crank on mine because, you know, I like having fingernails. Regardless, the video gives you some idea of what I'm thinking.

In mid-August, I will have the opportunity and must decide whether I want to replace Big Bertha (about 90% sure on this one) with a brand, new 17" Grizzly band saw (first photo below) and/or purchase a thickness sander (second photo below), also from Grizzly, or go the lathe route. I'll be checking in with the Master Builders on this one, though I've learned to take what they have to say with a grain of salt understanding they bring their own years of experience to the table whenever I put something out there. The thing is, if I decide on the thickness sander, I'll make room for it, right?


Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment