It's been an eventful few days this week. First, I was able to get the sharps buffed and ready for prime time. I ended up using a Heavy Duty Scotchbrite pad I had laying around for eventual use on the many hand plane renovation projects that exist only in my mind at this time. All of the keys I worked on buffed up nicely and are just about completed - the only thing left is to top them with a thin veneer of quarter sawn red oak.
After posting about my challenges with the naturals, Andrew Nolan was kind enough to suggest I simply use a file to round them off. As I did this, I realized I had made the notches a little too deep, but they're going to stay for now. I had to band saw off the two I had ruined and I'm just too tired and, frankly, impatient, to do that again. Besides, it's only a couple of keys at the high end of the keyboard. If I decide they're nagging at me too much later, I can always replace them.
As you can see, the natural looks pretty good, but the notches are a little too deep. I won't tell if you don't.
On a completely unrelated note, Andrew was also kind enough to remind me that the mask in a photo I had posted of myself was completely ineffective against most, if not all, airborne particles. Based on his comment, I went ahead and purchased a 3M 6300 HEPA-filtered mask off of eBay. It was only $15 and will probably end up extending my life given how much dust and aerosolized paint I've produced these last few months.
Now, I feel safe and snug as a bug in a rug. Or a gas mask. Either one. Yes, my hair gets crazier with every bad selfie I take. Just wait a couple more months.
Until next time...