Thursday, August 1, 2019

Day 185: Jacks Yet Again

It's been a long while since I've updated you here. My apologies. Things have been hectic and I've been awaiting a new custom made table saw blade with 5 mm teeth from Snooks Saw Service in Salem, Oregon (recommended by Owen Daly, of course). Well, the monster finally arrived, so I went to work on the jack blanks I had cut a few weeks before.



Rather than run them through barehanded, I grabbed some walnut from the stash and made what I think is a nice, little jig that will keep my hands safe. I used the CNC for maximum accuracy, as well.




I'm quite happy with it, though there is some tearout that happens based on the flatness of the teeth and the lack of support as the blanks meet the blade. Some loss is unavoidable, but nothing I can't live with. As you can see, the tongue slots came off nicely.


Because I had cut the tongues on the CNC, including setting the axle holes there, I could drill the axle holes into the bodies of the jacks using a .7 mm drill bit with great precision. These bits are typically used to drill holes into printed circuit boards and work quite nicely for this purpose.



As you can also see, I made a placement jig for these, too. It works. I was able to drill 99 without breaking a single bit.


I then inserted the pins I will be using into a hole and through a tongue and...it worked!


Now, to make jigs for the PEEK spring holes and to cut spring reliefs into the backs of the tongues. Just today, I located a 9" band saw for $15 on the Facebook Marketplace for this very purpose that I'm picking up tonight. I'm sure you'll see it in action in the near future.

On a couple of tangentially related notes, I came across an amazing sale of tools and wood downtown Portland a couple of months ago. I ended up grabbing about 3 gallons of Natural Danish Oil, a Fein shop vac for the CNC, and a couple of hundred board feet of poplar.


I won't need to purchase poplar for a very long time.

I also recently added a wonderful new book to the library.


The only other two books that have had as much impact on me are Hubbard's Three Centuries and O'Brien's Ruckers book. The analyses and articles are just amazing and I can't wait to apply some of what I've learned to the instrument.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment