Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Project Update: Preparing for my Comeback

Well, hasn't it been a while since my last post! As I recall, in it I mentioned something about life stuff getting in the way of the instrument progress. As it turns out, it's still in the way, though it's waning and I can see the light at the end of the long tunnel - I just hope it's not an oncoming train (it's not).

I've spent very little time in the shop since October of last year. This is not okay. One of the reasons for my absence has been related to the weather. We've experienced no less than four snowpocalypse events over the season and it's been quite cold in the shop. For some reason, I've not purchased any form of heater - not really sure why, frankly. I suppose the aforementioned life stuff has reordered my priorities a bit. Evidence below.


While cooling my jets (literally), Random Roger Green showed up at Tortuga Early Instruments Worldwide Headquarters to resaw some beautiful walnut.



The Laguna SUV finally served its intended purpose! It was an interesting exercise in discovery. When Roger finished resawing, we observed hidden tension released by the wood.


Roger tells me it has continued to cup and twist over time, so he has weighed it down with other wood and shop tools while it dries out a bit.

I was also visited last night by the North Clark County (Washington) breakout group of the Guild of Oregon Woodworkers, an organization of which I am a member. I really love this little group because it's composed of guys who have been woodworking far longer than I, some of them professionally, and they're all willing to share their deep knowledge and experience.


This was a fitting meetup because it represents my easing back into the shop in a large way. Over the next few months, I'll be hitting the instrument hard and, if all goes well, wrapping it up some time this summer.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment