Sunday, July 6, 2014

Project Update: A New, Old Bailey #5 Bench Plane

We took a day trip to the Oregon Coast over the Independence Day weekend and, lo and behold, I found myself inside Vintage Hardware in Astoria. They have lots of cool old stuff for sale, including old/antique door knobs, light fixtures, mouldings, doors, windows, furniture - you get the idea. They even had a harpsichord replica coffee table. It was pretty horrific, but, hey, who am I to judge?

On a shelf with some other hand tools, I found a Stanley Bailey #5 Bench Plane (corrugated bottom) in fairly rough condition for $15.00. It's missing a couple of parts, but I should be able to replace them for a few bucks.  A refurbished model runs between $100 and $150, especially if it was made before 1950, so I'm going to make this a mini-project and see what happens.


What do you think?  Is it worth at least a shot?

No comments:

Post a Comment